Beauty: Urban Decay Naked 2 palette review and 4 looks

Urban Decay Naked 2 palette: review and tutorial

A few weeks ago, my sister gave me the very best birthday gift ever: this Naked 2 palette by Urban Decay. I had been lusting over the Naked palettes since forever, but for some reason I never took the plunge to spend the 45-50€ it took to actually call the luxury palette my own. My birthday was the perfect occasion to add it to my collection. I have used it literally every morning since I got it, proving the incredible quality and versatility of the Naked palette. Of course, the internet is already filled with amazing reviews of the Naked palettes, but I figured you might be interested in my perspective regardless. Read on for a review of the palette, and four different looks I created!

Urban Decay Naked 2 palette: review and tutorial

The Naked palettes at the moment come in three varieties: the warm-neutral toned Naked 1 (or original), the neutral/cool toned Naked 2 palette, and the rosey, softer Naked 3 palette. I was going back and forth a bit between 3 and 2 when my sister asked me which one I wanted, but in the end I picked the 2 because it had a few darker shades, and more variety than the 3. I'm pretty fair skinned, but my high contrast colouring (dark hair and eyes, fair skin) looks better with medium shade make up, as light coloured make up tends to wash me out or make me look like a Barbie doll. I have no regrets about picking the Naked 2 palette, I have found that it contains a nice variety of shades to create warm, cool and neutral looks. Check out the shades!

Urban Decay Naked 2 palette: review and tutorial

 And swatches!


Love all of these shades except Foxy. Totally crappy, barely any colour pay off and I don't understand why they chose such a pale yellow shade.


The first three are all faves of mine for all over the lid, and verve is so pretty as a highlight or for a lighter all over lid colour.


Blackout is one of my all time favourite eyeshadows. So intensely pigmented it's almost like charcoal.

The palette is really well balanced between warm, neutral and cool shades:

Cool toned: Tease, Pistol, Verve, Busted
Neutral toned: Bootycall, Suspect, YDK, Blackout
Warm toned: Foxy, Half Baked, Chopper, Snakebite

Additionally, I feel like the textures are also sufficiently varied, although I wish it had like one other, darker-but-not-black matte eyeshadow:

Matte: Foxy, Tease, Blackout
Satin: Bootycall, Snakebite, Suspect, Pistol, Verve, Busted
Glittery: Half Baked, Chopper, YDK

To illustrate, here are some of the diverse looks I've created over the past week. Clockwise from top left: a soft, silver smokey eye (my fave of the bunch), a bronze, darker smokey eye, a bright gold look and a more intense mix of warm copper and dirty grey to offset a cat eye.

four looks using the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette

And let's look at the total picture of how these work with my face and the rest of my make up.

four looks using the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette

I love all of these looks, but the one I go back to over and over again is the top left: the silvery, soft smokey eye, built on Verve, Pistol and Blackout: works equally well with a barely there pink lipstick, as with a bright orange one. Very versatile and flattering. The bright gold was also a lovely surprise, since it's not a look I'd automatically go for because it's so warm toned. However, by pairing Half Baked with the more neutral Bootycall (used as a highlight in the inner eye corner), the warmth of the gold is toned down and more wearable. Love it!

End verdict: this palette is BOMB ASS and it makes me excited to do my make up every single day. And yes, now I desperately want the Naked 3 palette as well. Make up like this totally reignites my passion for make up.

AND! Urban Decay has recently launched in the Netherlands and Belgium, so you don't have to pay crazy shipping/import fees anymore to get your hands on these babies. Get the Naked 2 palette here, and get creative! If you're from the UK, you can find it here, and US buyers can shop here.

8 comments

  1. Godddd one day I will get a Naked palette. One day! she yells.
    Also your eyelashes are amazing and I haven't been happy with any of the mascaras I have tried lately. What are you using in these photos?


    xx
    scarlettandgiselle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used Maybelline's Volum' Express (this one: http://www.neswebshop.nl/files/images/1297.jpg) since FOREVER because any other formula or brush I try just doesn't measure up, it's my ultimate favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moooooi :-) Ik heb het Naked 3 palette al een tijdje maar ben er nog steeds super blij over. Infinite love, jawel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ik heb enkel het naked 3 palette! maar ze zijn allemaal zoo mooi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would look gorgeous on you! Do you prefer wearing warm shades in your eye make up? Because the original Naked palette is also stunning, this one is just a bit cooler so more versatile for me. Just google lots of swatches and looks made with the three palettes to figure out which one would work best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! Yay thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to really enjoy wearing gold...basically I suck at assessing whether it's warm or cooler tones that I favour ha! I'm completely useless! I tend to wear either natural beiges, and some plum, and when I was younger I used to love wearing browns, but over the years I stopped. I love, love, love golds though. At this point I'm really unsure which one is best for me, but 2 seems like a lot of fun, at least judging by the looks you created :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I think naked 2 definitely has the shadows to do darker and lighter gold/copper looks, as well as more neutral looks. It's a very versatile palette!

    ReplyDelete