Beauty: Milani Amore Mattalics review

Metallic lipstick: Milani Matterialistic and Chromatic Addict swatches and review

After the hyper matte liquid lipstick, there's a new trend in town that will probably invade your dreams, pinterest boards and makeup tables before long: metallics. I know, metallic makeup is a divisive subject. The first thing that comes to mind when you hear the phrase is probably something very late 80s-early 90s, frosty, or cheap looking kid's makeup. I get that. However, today's metallic lipstick is bomb AF and makes you look like Rihanna might actually consider hanging with you if you'd just keep your cool.

Just before we left for France, I got one of my obsessive moods and I suddenly realized that what my life needed was Milani Amore Mattalics. I mean, I'd seen people wearing Chromatic Addict on my social media for a while, and my kneejerk reaction had always been "hmm, why would anyone want metallic gold lips?? This trend is ridiculous" until it slowly turned into "OMG GIMME". I've said it time and time again, I'm not a trend setter, so I'm sending mental apologies to all the people who discovered the awesomeness of metallic lips before I did: you were right, I was wrong.

So when I realized I had a mattalics shaped hole in my heart, I started frantically googling until I found the last webshop delivering in Belgium who still had the shades I wanted in stock: Beauty88 (find Chromatic Addict here, and Matterialistic here), and magically, they arrived the very next day so I could still take them with me on holiday: WINNING

Now, you probably already figured that I'm super excited about these so let's get to the nitty gritty and actually review dat shiz.

Metallic lipstick: Milani Matterialistic and Chromatic Addict swatches and review

The Milani Amore Mattalics have a thin, mousse-y formula that applies pleasantly and neatly with the angled doe foot wand. Heads up: these do have a super strong vanilla/caramel type scent, so if you hate scented formulas these are not for you (although the fragrance does disappear when the formula dries down). However, I love vanilla errrthang so that's actually a plus for me. I know, I'm weird. 

The best thing about these, though, is that the Mattalics perform outstandingly well in all the areas where liquid lipsticks usually let me down: they do not get gross and crumly when you build up a couple of layers, nor do they start flaking when you reapply after a meal. In addition, they feel super light on the lips instead of seeming like you've got some sort of paint-cardboard hybrid weighing your lips down, and if you're wearing just one layer they almost feel like a lipstick (which is infinitely more comfortable than liquid lippies to me). In short, these have that dream formula that makes me understand why people are so excited about liquid lipsticks. Why can't all the other brands just perform this well?? I seriously give them a 10/10, and that's pretty amazing coming from a liquid lipstick sceptic.

Let's get swatching, because images speak louder than words.

Metallic lipstick: Milani Matterialistic and Chromatic Addict swatches and review

Matterialistic is a rusty burgundy with a warm, rosegold metallic shimmer, and the formula is slightly more saturated than Chromatic Addict, which is a gorgeous champagne/rosegold shade. Both are actually surprisingly wearable, although Chromatic Addict might wash you out (or make you look like Nicki Minaj) if you have a darker skintone.

Metallic lipstick: Milani Chromatic Addict swatches and review
Metallic lipstick: Milani Chromatic Addict swatches and review
Metallic lipstick: Milani Chromatic Addict swatches and review

I know, one picture would have sufficed, but I'm super into my new highlighted hair (Costa Del Kapsalon rocks my woooorld) and I just had to demonstrate how ridiculously awesome rose gold liquid lipstick can look, as evidenced by Chromatic Addict. I mean, I had serious doubts before I tried it on (I ordered Chromatic Addict anyway because of my aforementioned obsession), but there is nothing I don't like about this one. It makes me look all summery and like an ABBA member or something in the very best way possible. Very disco queen.

Metallic lipstick: Milani Matterialistic swatches and review
Metallic lipstick: Milani Matterialistic swatches and review
Metallic lipstick: Milani Matterialistic swatches and review

Ugh this is such a gorgeous colour, so mid 90s-early 2000s! I haven't been wearing Matterialistic as much as Chromatic Addict, but it's suchhhh a perfect fall/winter shade so I'm sort of saving that new car/new makeup feeling for when it will really fit in with all the autumnal vibes. 

I have zero complaints about the Milani Amore Mattalics, except maybe that they don't come in every possible shade because I would be stocking up in these babies. At about €10, these are TOP quality yet super affordable. All the thumbs up!

Have you tried any metallic lipsticks? Please do recommend! I also have my eye on some of the NYX wickeds.

No comments