Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

Exciting post today, guys! I know I'm not the only one who let out a squeal when I saw the first images of the new Urban Decay Naked Heat release - warm toned eyeshadow has been having a moment lately, and basically everyone loves the Urban Decay Naked palettes. There's something magical about how the UD Nakeds succeed at throwing together a bunch of shades that just work together perfectly, making your everyday makeup routine more convenient, more inspired and a whole lot easier. I own all the Naked palettes (3 and 1 being my favs hands down), and while I'm not much of a collector, I couldn't resist jumping at the opportunity when Sephora.fr put up a batch of these available for sale online before the actual Europe release. So exciting!! Mine arrived in the mail yesterday, and I didn't waste any time putting together a review. Enjoy!

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

Ah, what a beaut. The Naked Heat palette has the same packaging as the Naked Smoky: plastic, magnetic closure, 3d effect to its upper. It's different in how it's been boxed, though: it slides out of the packaging like a box of matches! Very cute, very fitting for the Heat theme.

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

Apparently, the palette had a working title as Naked Scorched, and I like how that's still reflected in the burnt matches featured on the inside of the box. Beautiful packaging, definitely. But we're here for the eyeshadows!

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

You can tell I already got my fingers in there, right? Sorry, I just couldn't contain myself. Such a beautiful mix of mattes and shimmers, nudes, ochres, coppers, burgundies and even some purple... Very yummy! And absolutely different from ABH Modern Renaissance: more shimmery shades, and warmer overall.

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

On this row, all of the shades performed quite well. Chaser is suuuper smooth and buttery, even though it doesn't show up on my skintone - ABH Modern Renaissance level quality. Sauced and Low Blow are nice as well, but a smidgen drier. And Lumbre is definitely love at first sight for me, I adore shimmery peaches like these for a bright, flattering everyday look.

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

Ah, Dirty Talk, Scorched and Ember: irresistible. Cayenne is a GREAT matte as well, but En Fuego and Ashes need a bit of work to perform as well as the other shades. I feel like these need a base to get the same intensity of colour as you get in the pan, otherwise they're actually more subtle and sheer in use than they seem at first glance.

One negative note: the brush really sucks. I don't know how or why, because I love the brushes that come with the other UD palettes, but this one is stiff, creating lots of loose powder in the pans, and it doesn't seem to succeed at getting the pigment on my lid. A hard pass for me. 

I created three easy looks using the Naked Heat palette and some of my other brushes: one that's a more daytime-appropriate interpretation of the warm, coppery vibe central to the Heat concept, one a deep, sultry smokey look, and the third a look using only the mattes.

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

For this look, I used Ounce in the inner corner, Sauced in the crease, Lumbre all over the lid, Fuego and Ashes in the outer corner, and Scorched on the lower lashline. On the lips, I'm wearing Colorpop's Instigator, and my mascara is MAC Extreme Dimension waterproof: my current fav.

The second look:

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

Here, I used Lumbre and Dirty Talk in the inner corner, Ember all over the lid and on the lower lashline, and Ashes in the crease and in the outer corner.

Look number three!

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review
Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

For this look I used Ounce in the inner corner as a highlight, Chaser on the inner half of the eye, Sauced and Low Blow in the outer corner, and En Fuego in the outer V and on the lower lashline. And Lime Crime Pumpkin on the lips!
In use, these eyeshadows perform quite well. I didn't use any base for the two first looks, to really see how the perform on their own. I do think these would probably work better over a base, like most eyeshadows - especially the darker mattes could use something like UD Primer Potion to stick to because they did get a bit muddy over the other shadows. The third look demonstrates this, the mattes worked perfectly over UD Primer Potion. Otherwise, I have no complaints. Except that brush.

Naked Heat is a great addition to the Urban Decay line-up, and if you're into warm shadows, this one will be lots of fun to play around with.

Beauty: Urban Decay Naked Heat review

No comments